A Special Story of the Fairchild PT-19 B
The American low-wing monoplane Fairchild PT-19 B was very highly regarded WWII trainer, in which most new US Army Air Force pilots trained in during Primary Flying Training before moving onto a more agile Kaydet.
The first PT-19 was assembled at the Hagerstown factory in February 1940, and by the end of the year up to three were being produced every day and were being delivered all over the country by WASPs (Women’s Air Force Service Pilots).
Once the U.S. went to war it was clear that there were going to be thousands of new pilots who would need trainers, and Fairchild pledged to supply the U.S. with as many trainers as they needed.
By 1942 the Ranger division could not build engines as fast as the airplanes that were being produced because of the extremely high demand for the trainers, so the army decided that other manufacturers would build the Fairchild design under license.
The training program had reached its peak in 1944; the last PT-19 and PT-26 planes were delivered in April of 1944–a total of 8,129 of the model 62’s and variance were produced. After the war ended the planes were sold as surplus for as little as $750 dollars out of the crate.
North Cascades Vintage Aircraft Museum possesses one of these fully functional Fairchild PT-19 B aircrafts.
Find out more about the Fairchild PT-19 B here.