The first PA-22’s were powered by Lycoming 0-290 of a 125 HP. The 135 PA-22 followed in 1953 and in 1955 the 150 HP PA-22 debuted and in 1957 the last power increase went to 160 HP 0-320, whereas the largest engine available to the original Pacer had an output of 150 HP. In 1959 and 1960, Piper offered a cheaper, less well-equipped version of the Tri-Pacer with a 150 HP (112kW) Lycoming 0-320 designated the Pa-22-150 Caribbean before being phased out in favor of the PA-22-108 in 1960. Over 8000 Tri-Pacers were produced between 1950 and 1960 when production ended, with over 2000 still registered with the FAA in 2006.
This particular PA-22-135 has some historical significance relating to the Skagit Aero Educational Museum. This aircraft was delivered new to a Piper dealer in Wenatchee, WA. The airplane was then sold to its first owner in western WA where after owning it for a year he sold the aircraft to Harold Hanson. The PA-22-135 was Harold’s first airplane and he kept it for 12 years having to sell it to a partnership in Enumclaw, WA.
Eventually, the airplane worked its way down to Coos Bay, OR. From there, in a disassembled state the airplane sat for a number of years in a Springfield, OR barn. Then, in 2005 Jim and Drew Jenkins found N3328A and bought the aircraft unbeknownst to Harold. Upon arriving in Concrete, WA Harold found his old friend waiting for him in the hanger and thus began a full nut and bolt, ground up, restoration.
Piper PA22-135 Tri-Pacer N3328a s/n 22-1603
Engine: LYCOMING 0-290 SERIES
Horsepower: 140 (Reciprocating)
Empty Weight: 1150 lbs
Gross Weight: 1950 lbs
Cruise Speed: 120 mph
Stall Speed w/flaps: 50 mph
Range: 550 miles